- This event has passed.
SAMposium for Kids
March 15 @ 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm$12
From Stefan Bloodworth:“As Director of the Columbus Botanical Garden, I have experienced a great deal of joy in the last few months helping plan for the Samposium, our new signature event to celebrate our natural heritage and the man who lived his life in celebration of it. Our team put their hearts into crafting a schedule for the weekend that would bring the fabulous world of birds to a broad audience. Highlighting that schedule was the attendance of David Sibley, one of the world’s true living legends in the world of birding. David’s publisher informed me this morning that he would be unable to attend due to COVID-19 concerns. With that in mind, and out of concern for the health of our staff,volunteers and guests in the face of a rapidly evolving pandemic, it is with sorrow that I announce that the Sam Pate Naturalist Symposium scheduled for this weekend has been postponed. We are currently investigating alternate dates in late summer/early fall for the 2020 Samposium, and we will keep you updated as new information becomes available. We would love to hold your place for this new date, but if you feel that you would like a refund, that can be taken care of via our Eventbrite site where you purchased your tickets.In closing, perhaps the most poignant messages I have heard since yesterday are from those folks who were friends of Sam and the natural world he loved, but who did not feel they would be able to attend the symposium named for him out of fear for their health. That is not the event that we had in mind. Joy, not fear is the emotion we hope to invoke with this, so we will try again another day. We appreciate your support for the programs that help make the Columbus Botanical Garden a special spot to embrace our natural world.”
March 15, 2020 – Sunday – SAMposium for Kids
2:00 – 5:00 pm – $12 – kids under 3 free
Five stations are set-up throughout the Garden to help kids engage with nature and learn more about birding. You and your children can move from station to station and enjoy the offerings at your leisure. Some stations will have start times, but you are free to come and go as you please.
1. Raptor Ramble – 2:00-2:50; 3:00-3:50; 4:00-4:50: Meet raptors up close and personal and learn about Auburn University’s Raptor Rescue Program.
2. Bird Mobile Station – 2:00-2:45; 3:00-3:45; 4:00-4:45: Come to our mobile making class and create a bird mobile with elements of nature. Supplies included.
3. Create your own Sibley Bird Watching Field Guide – 2:00-5:00: There will be bird watching guides supplied for children to color. This guide will serve as the Field Guide Book for the “Going on a Bird Watch” portion of the kid’s programming.
4. Going on a Bird Watch – Begins at 3:00 and tours every 15 minutes thereafter: After creating your bird watching guide, come to the Camellia Garden for a guided bird watching trail walk where you will match the birds in your new guide with birds hidden in the forest.
5. Bird Books, Birthday Cake and Story Time – 2:00-5:00: It’s a party on the patio with guest actor’s reading a collection of children’s stories. There will also be birthday cake to celebrate Mr. Sam Pate’s birthday week. Children’s books about birds and nature will also be for sale.
6. Mr. Sam Pate’s Classroom – 2:00-5:00: Experience Mr. Pate’s exotic classroom recreated inside the Farmhouse. You will find birds’ nests, stuffed critters, reptiles, bugs, and more. Curated by Mrs. Nan Pate with input from Mr. Sam Pate’s former students.
A wonderful outdoor adventure fun for the whole family.